I was surprised and elated by the number of responses. There were so many I personally resonated with, so I wanted to share my own list, as well as all the others I received.
What I would have told my younger self:
- I know you love and respect him, but you can’t force him to love and respect himself. All the energy, tears, sleepless nights, and opportunities wasted are not worth it. You deserve so much more and will find it, I promise.
- You think you aren’t cut out to be a mom, so you tell people you really prefer not to have kids. Believe me, you aren’t half bad.
- Save your money. You’ll need it down the line.
- Don’t you dare smoke that cigarette. It’s not cool and you’re being dumb.
- TRAVEL. Go now! Go explore the world.
- You aren’t crazy. You aren’t just being ‘a hormonal girl’ your feelings are valid.
- You really love graphic design. And you’re kind of good at it. Take some classes, get a good paying job.
- Don’t rely on anyone else to pay your way.
- Take care of yourself and your body. It’s the only one you’ve got.
- Care more about school, you’ll regret not putting more effort in.
- Your credit matters, like a lot. Be mindful.
Here is what other’s had to say about what they would tell themselves:
- You deserve the ability to be who you are both in friendships and relationships
- You’re capable of ANYTHING! Also, take more naps.
- Be more adventurous. Love harder, forgive quicker – even when there isn’t an apology given.
- Live for an audience of one (God). See people through Jesus’ eyes.
- Learn to listen. I was often so quick to respond in an argument rather than find the root of what was causing it in the first place. Find the problem, don’t react to the emotion.
- ‘It’ll be fine’ I wouldn’t change anything, even the bad, because it lead me to where I am today.
- Every action doesn’t require a reaction
- Stop wasting your time on stupid boys who aren’t worth yours.
- Learn to eat appropriately. Don’t marry him.
- Refrain from buying stupid shit. Save your money! Take more risks. Love yourself hard.
- Finish school, dammit!
- I am lovable and worthy.
- Stop looking to others for approval. Boys are dumb.
- Be bold and do it anyway, regardless of what it is or was.
- Stay humble, be kinder to people and stop wasting time on people who won’t matter later on.
- The only way to overcome any trial is to cling to God and hold onto your faith.
- Those that matter don’t mind and those that mind don’t matter.
- People aren’t thinking about you as often as you think. Get over yourself.
- Be yourself always, if people don’t like it, it’s their loss.
- If you can’t control it, there’s no point in worrying about it.
There’s a common denominator in that I don’t think the majority of us would have wanted our courses altered. Would we have listened anyway? Probably not. Regardless, here we are. Surviving. Our stories may be beat to hell, but they’re what makes us so uniquely wonderful.
What’s something you would add to this list?